8:00 AM to Sunset, March to October.
10:00 AM to Sunset, November to February.
(Note: Many places fill to capacity on busy, nice weather days, especially holiday weekends. Please call ahead or visit the official website to get the most up-to-date information before visiting.)
There is a day use service charge of $3 per person on Weekends and Holidays, April though October. There is no charge November through March.
Out-of-state residents add $2 to all day use service charges.
The park offers hiking and biking trails, boat rental, fishing, flatwater canoeing and kayaking, historic interest, hunting, picnicking, playgrounds, riding trails, picnic pavilions, a restored 19th century cabin, and cross-country skiing.
- Boating & Fishing - A hand launch site is available for the lake. Private watercraft are permitted throughout the season. A boat concession on Clopper Lake rents boats for fishing and recreation on weekends beginning May 5, 2012, and Wednesday through Sunday and holiday Mondays from June 13 through Labor Day weekend. Fish include: largemouth bass, catfish, bluegill, tiger muskie and crappie. Seneca Creek is stocked with put-and-take trout.
- Picnicking - Picnic areas with tables, grills, and comfort stations are open daily until sunset. Playgrounds are located near the picnic areas. Picnic pavilions for group picnics are available for rental.
- Park Office - A 140-seat auditorium may be rented weekdays for meetings.
- Shelters - Our shelters are open from Girls paddling at Seneca State park April through October; 50 person capacity shelter-$50/day; 150 person capacity shelter-$150/day; 200 person capacity shelter-$200/day. Our picnic grove area is open from April through September; 200 person capacity-$100/day; 100 person capacity-$50/day. Our Visitor Center has 140 person capacity and is $280/day. Our day use service charge for weekends and holidays April-October is $3/person, $5/person out-of-state residents; there is no charge November-March.
- Trails - Trails for hiking and bicycling wind through a variety of habitat. A detailed trail map is available at the park office. Mountain bikes may be used on some trails.
- Disc Golf Course - A 32-acre, 27-hole course, for both the amateur and the professional is at the park.
- Hunting - River Road Area (Approximately 1000 acres open for all seasons and weapons), Game Preserve Area (Approximately 80 acres open for bow hunting only for deer), Riffle Ford Road to Black Rock Road Area (Approximately 1100 acres open for bow hunting only for deer), Berryville Road to Montevideo hunting area (Approximately 1100 acres open for bow hunting only for deer), Schaeffer Farm Tract (Only open during the firearms season, November 30-December 14, 2013 and January 10-11, 2014), Special Managed Hunt
- The Black Rock Mill, located on Seneca Creek at Black Rock Road, is partially restored with outdoor interpretive exhibits.
- The Seneca Schoolhouse, located on Route 190 west of Seneca, is a restored 19th century one-room schoolhouse, originally built for children of the Seneca Sandstone quarries along the Potomac River.
- The Woodlands, a short self-guided trail located at the Clopper Day-Use Area park office, interprets the life and the estate of the Clopper Family.
Water Flow Info:
- 11 restrooms
- Paved walkways
- 6 picnic shelters
- Family picnic sites
- The Boat Center offers a variety of different vessels for hourly or daily rental on the calm waters of Clopper Lake. Bait, fishing poles and tackle are sold from the Cedar Shed Gift Shop in the boat rental area. T-shirts, disc golf equipment, ice cream, water and other gifts are available as well.
- Gift Shop
Seneca Creek State Park offers an accessible park office, six picnic shelters, and many family picnic sites. Three picnic sites have been designed specifically for wheelchair access. Seven of 11 restrooms in the park are accessible via paved walkways. The Boat Center has a paved lakefront walkway for fishing access.
Pets are allowed in Seneca Creek State Park, with the exceptions of playgrounds and buildings. Please keep them leashed at all times.
Related Trip Ideas