The Seaford Museum, operated by the Seaford Historical Society, is dedicated to preserving and commemorating the history of the town of Seaford, Delaware located on the banks of the Nanticoke River. The museum, located in the former United States Post office, built in 1935, houses over 60 exhibits on the waterside town’s rich history and culture.
Exhibits portray Maritime History at the headwaters of the Nanticoke with Indian life, Patty Cannon and Harriet Tubman the Underground Railroad, early agriculture, shipbuilding, the canning industry, oyster shucking, even the coming of Du Pont, and much more. A new Nanticoke Maritime Gallery tells the story of the Seaford Wharf area after dark when the businesses there are just finishing up.
Special rotating exhibits are also opened on a regular basis. The Seaford Historical Society also operates the Governor Ross Mansion and Plantation, the home of the former Governor of Delaware (1851-1855) that has been restored to pre-Civil War elegance.
Governor Ross Mansion and Plantation: 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, except holidays.
Hours: 1-4 Thursday through Sunday
Visits by appointment are possible at both sites.
(Note: Many places fill to capacity on busy, nice weather days, especially holiday weekends. Please call ahead or visit the official website to get the most up-to-date information before visiting.)
Gov. Ross Mansion: Tickets: $7 per adult, children 12 and under and Members free.
The museum offers guided tours during operating hours for general visitors to learn about the history of the Seaford Area. The museum is involved in the summer Naticoke Riverfest and a summer concert series, Civil War encampments and lectures on various topics are offered throughout the year.
The Seaford Museum is located in the 1935 United States Post Office located near the Nanticoke River. A river walk along the Nanticoke provides easy access to the museum. The Governor Ross Plantation includes the main house, 20 acres and several outbuildings dating back to the mid-1800s.
The Seaford Museum is fully handicapped accessible. There is a free museum parking lot and additional on-street parking.
The Mansion is partially handicapped accessible.
Captain John Smith and his crew were the first Europeans to travel up the Nanticoke River into present-day Delaware. Smith wrote that he planted a brass cross somewhere near Broad Creek, south of present-day Seaford, to mark the extent of his exploration. The Nanticoke Indians escorted Smith and his crew up the river. In Smith’s records of the voyage, he refers to the Nanticoke by a different name, Kuskarawaok. His crew thought the Nanticoke were “the best merchants” of all the Indian tribes they had met. Because their home was on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay, the Nanticoke collected sea shells from the beaches. These shells were valuable goods for trading with Indians further north, who gave the Nanticoke the finest furs Smith saw in all his travels.