Help stop the spread of COVID-19 and follow all current directives from your governor and local health officials about wearing face masks and physical distancing.
Newtown Battlefield State Park features a great overlook into the valley below, but also shares ties with the American Revolution.
The Battle of Newtown took place in August of 1779 with the Continental Army facing off with the British, Loyalists, and Iroquis warriors. On August 29, 1879 on the centennial of the Battle of Newtown, a stone momument was dedicated on top of the hill.
The park is open from May through the end of October
(Note: Many places fill to capacity on busy, nice weather days, especially holiday weekends. Please call ahead or visit the official website to get the most up-to-date information before visiting.)
No parking fees are collected.
Non-NYS resident fee for camping, per night: $5.00
Non-NYS resident fee for cabins, per night: $7.00
Non-NYS resident fee for cabins, per week: $28.00
For campers, if your site allows pets, there is a two-pet maximum.
In August of 1779, the peace and tranquility of this forested hill was broken by the boom of cannons, the crack of musket fire, and the yells of Iroquois warriors. The Continental Army was engaged in battle with the British regulars, Loyalist rangers and 1000 Iroquois Indian warriors. The battle of Newtown was the decisive clash in one of the largest offensive campaigns of the American Revolution. This expedition, known as the Sullivan-Clinton Campaign, had been regarded as punishment to several tribes among the Six Nations of the Iroquois Confederacy who had sided with the British in the war and had attacked frontier settlements.
A stone monument was dedicated at the top of the hill on August 29, 1879, the centennial of the Battle of Newtown. The present granite monument was erected in 1912. During the 1930s, Civilian Conservation Corps crews built and developed many of the present facilities of the park, including a beautiful, rustic lodge. In 1973, Newtown Battlefield Reservation was designated as a historic landmark and placed on the National Register of Historic Places.