Manassas National Battlefield Park

Manassas National Battlefield Park

On July 21, 1861, two armies clashed for the first time on the fields overlooking Bull Run. Heavy fighting swept away any notion of a quick war. In August 1862, Union and Confederate armies converged for a second time on the plains of Manassas. The Confederates won a solid victory bringing them to the height of their power.

Manassas National Battlefield Park offers a wide array of activities, scenic vistas, historic sites and walking trails to interest the casual visitor or the true Civil War historian. A good place to begin your visit is the Henry Hill Visitor Center. Pick up a park brochure, map, trail guides and check out the daily schedule of interpretive programs.

Artifacts and exhibits pertaining to the First Battle of Manassas are displayed in the Henry Hill Visitor Center museum. Exhibits include audio-visual displays and a fiber-optic battle map presentation that describes troop movements during the battle. Audio portions are close-captioned.

Enter Your Location

Image Credit: Manassas National Battlefield Park


The park is open daily from dawn to dusk.

The Henry Hill Visitor Center is open daily from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas day.

The Brawner Farm Interpretive Center is open daily from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

The Stone House is open daily from 10 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

(Note: Many places fill to capacity on busy, nice weather days, especially holiday weekends. Please call ahead or visit the official website to get the most up-to-date information before visiting.)


Entrance to Manassas National Battlefield Park is free. Donations are accepted at the Henry Hill Visitor Center. All programs and buildings are free and open to the general public.


If you have less than two hours to visit:

  • Join a park ranger for a walking tour
  • Explore the museum and see displays of civil war era uniforms, weapons and field gear
  • View the 6-minute fiber-optic battle map for a quick overview of field strategy and tactics
  • Watch the park's 45 minute orientation film Manassas: End of Innocence (shown on the hour in the Visitors Center theatre)
  • Walk the Henry Hill Loop Trail (1.1 mile)
  • Browse the park gift shop

If you have more than two hours to visit:

  • Attend multiple ranger-led walking tours
  • Take the self-guided driving tour (20 miles of driving, approximately 2-3 hours)
  • Visit the Brawner Farm Interpretive Center
  • Visit the historic Stone House
  • Hike the First Manassas Loop Trail (5.4 miles) or the Second Manassas Loop Trail (6.2 miles)
  • Download the First and Second Manassas battle apps for detailed overviews of each engagement


Parking areas, museum, restrooms, trails, visitor center, gift shop, Brawner Farm Interpretive Center (open seasonally), Stone House (open seasonally).



Parking: Six designated handicapped parking spaces flank a paved accessible route with ramps to the Visitor Center entrance.

Entrance: Button to the right side of the double doors activates an automatic opener.

Restrooms: Men’s and Women’s facilities in the basement of the visitor center are accessible to wheelchair users via an exterior ramp at the west rear of the building. Each restroom has one wheelchair accessible stall equipped with handrails and elevated seat. All sinks are wheelchair accessible.

Museum Exhibits and Battle Map Program: Fully accessible to wheelchair users on one level of the building. Map program is captioned for the hearing-impaired. There are tactile exhibits of reproduction artillery shells and equipment in the visitor center lobby and visually impaired visitors may examine the many original artillery pieces displayed on the field.

Park Film: Space for wheelchairs is reserved at the front and rear of the auditorium. The 45-minute film, Manassas: End of Innocence, is captioned for the hearing impaired. Assisted listening devices are available upon request. Audio description of the film is available upon request for the visually impaired.

Loaner Wheelchair: A wheelchair is available for use inside the Visitor Center and adjacent paved areas outside the building. The wheelchair is loaned free-of-charge, but a driver's license must be left with park staff to ensure the return of the wheelchair.

Information in Large Type: “The Manassas Story” in large type for the visually impaired is available on request at the lobby information desk.

Ranger Programs: Talks and short walking tours are scheduled daily in the immediate vicinity of the visitor center and can accommodate persons with mobility impairments. Ramps from the visitor center provide access to Henry Hill which is fairly level near the visitor center and suitable for wheelchair use when the ground is dry. Assisted listening devices are available upon request.

Service animals are permitted throughout the park.

Trail: The Stone Bridge Trail, Chinn Ridge Trail, Stone House Trail, Brawner Farm Trail are all handicap accessible.

Additional information can be obtained by calling 703-361-1339.


Pets are allowed in the park and on the hiking trails but must be kept on a leash at all times.


Last updated: July 31, 2018