Help stop the spread of COVID-19 and follow all current directives from your governor and local health officials about wearing face masks and physical distancing.
This small riverside park provides the only north side public access to the James for approximately 36 river miles between Henrico and James City County. A wooded area surrounded by acres of farm fields, the park provides a tranquil setting in which to fish, picnic or appreciate nature. A 200 foot fishing/birding pier provides a panoramic view of the James River. Bald eagles winter in trees overlooking the river and great blue herons and wood ducks nest in park wetlands created by active beaver. The site is an historic river landing once the site of tobacco warehouses and in 1864 the point from which the Union Army crossed the James before the siege of Petersburg.
The boat ramp is open: May 1st – September 30th Mondays to Fridays (1:00am – 7:30pm) and Weekends and holidays (7:00am – 7:30pm); October 1st to April 30th (open daily sunrise to sunset).
(Note: Many places fill to capacity on busy, nice weather days, especially holiday weekends. Please call ahead or visit the official website to get the most up-to-date information before visiting.)
$5 fee for non-residents.
The park offers quiet spots for bird watching from viewing platforms, for fishing from the pier or along the shore line, and for picnicking in the open or under a shelter. A wetlands board walk offers a unique way to view wetland plant and wildlife.
The park has separate entrances to its upper and lower levels. A comfort station, covered and uncovered picnicking area with grills, and a viewing platform accessible via an asphalt path are located at the upper level. A second comfort station, wetlands board walk, boat ramp, second viewing station and fishing pier are located at the lower level.
The upper level of the viewing station at the first park entrance is accessible via an asphalt path. Both comfort stations are handicapped accessible. The fishing pier and swamp board walk are both handicapped accessible.
The site is an historic river landing once the site of tobacco warehouses and in 1864 the point from which the Union Army crossed the James before the siege of Petersburg.