The stream Hyner Run carves a small valley from the surrounding steep mountains, creating a cozy, quiet place for an outdoor adventure. The park is entirely surrounded by Sproul State Forest, Pennsylvania’s largest state forest.
The park was originally developed as a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp. Although most traces of the camp are gone, some remain as reminders of that era.
In 1944, much of the park was planted with red and white pine, known as plantation number 10-44-8. The park opened to the public in 1958 with the completion of the swimming pool, bathhouse, concession, picnic area and restrooms. The camping area opened to the public in 1975.