Help stop the spread of COVID-19 and follow all current directives from your governor and local health officials about wearing face masks and physical distancing.
Hancock's Resolution is an historic two-story gambrel-roofed stone farm house with shed-roofed dormers and interior end chimneys located on a farm in Anne Arundel County. In 1785 Stephen Hancock, Jr. built the original stone section as the main house for what was then a 410-acre farm. Additions to the house were built in 1855 and in about 1900. Stone and frame outbuildings remain, including a one-story gable-roofed stone dairy.
Hancock's Resolution remained in Hancock family ownership until the deaths in the 1960s of Mary Hancock and her brother, Henry Hancock, who left the property to Anne Arundel County to be preserved. Hancock's Resolution underwent a thorough restoration in 2000 and is now open to the public as a house museum.
Only open April through October
Extended hours for some special events
(Note: Many places fill to capacity on busy, nice weather days, especially holiday weekends. Please call ahead or visit the official website to get the most up-to-date information before visiting.)
Most events are free, but a small donation is suggested. For some events there may be a service charge.
Volunteers are welcome to help plant, prune, weed, water, and answer questions that park visitors ask on any Sunday from 1:00-4:00, April through October. Some Sundays have extended hours to accommodate festivals, reenactments, and other farm-related demonstrations. There are also occasions when volunteers provide private tours for gardens clubs or for school and scout groups.
During the War of 1812, the house known as Hancock’s Resolution sat on a farm of more than 400 acres near Bodkin Creek.
The British entered Bodkin Creek on August 24, 1814—the same day as the Battle of Bladensburg—and burned the American privateer schooner Lion.
Since the 1790s, Bodkin Point had been part of a signal system to alert Baltimore merchants that ships were approaching. However, there is no evidence the point was used for military purposes during the War of 1812.
Maryland militia Capt. Francis Hancock, who served during the Battle for Baltimore, likely owned a second house that used to stand on the farm’s property.