Concord Point lighthouse, constructed in 1827, sits adjacent to the Susquehanna River and protected the large volume of commercial river traffic from the shoals and currents of the Susquehanna Flats. The light is the oldest continuously operated lighthouse in the State of Maryland.
Today, the site also affords unparalleled views of the scenic upper Bay region encompassing dramatic topography, wildlife and extensive recreational activity. The lighthouse park is within a designated historic district and adjacent to the Havre de Grace river promenade and so enjoys a strong pedestrian link to several other Gateway sites and regional points of interest.
The lighthouse is open April through October on Saturdays and Sundays, from 1:00 to 5:00 pm.
(Note: Many places fill to capacity on busy, nice weather days, especially holiday weekends. Please call ahead or visit the official website to get the most up-to-date information before visiting.)
No entrance fee is charged, but a donation box is available. Donations go to upkeep of the lighthouse.
You can tour the area surrounding the lighthouse year around. The lighthouse tower and keeper's house is open for tours April through October on Saturdays and Sundays from 1:00 to 5:00 pm. Call ahead to arrange guided tours for groups.
Havre de Grace was the home of celebrated Com. John Rogers, who fired the first naval shots of the War of 1812 and commanded the American frigate President.
On May 3, 1813, with Congreve rockets firing from British vessels, Royal Marines landed and overran an earthen gun battery on the Havre de Grace waterfront.
The militiamen posted at the battery retreated into the town, firing from the cover of buildings, walls, and trees.
One man, John O’Neill, remained at the battery and singlehandedly loaded and fired a cannon at the approaching British troops. He was later captured in town while trying to rally his fellow militiamen to return to the battery.
The British then pillaged and burned Havre de Grace, destroying nearly three-quarters of the town.