Help stop the spread of COVID-19 and follow all current directives from your governor and local health officials about wearing face masks and physical distancing.
Colton Point State Park covers 368 acres of forests and gorge in Northern Pennsylvania. It features trails, campgrounds, fishing and hunting, among other activites. It overlooks the Pine Creek Gorge, a 47 mile gorge often called "The Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania", which carries water down into the Susquehanna River and further into the Chesapeake Bay Watershed.
Colton Point State Park has outhouses, fire rings and picnic tables at the campgrounds, and features 4 miles of trails. 100 acres of Colton Point State Park are available for hunting. Colton Point State Park is ADA accessible.
Pine Creek Gorge was used as a travel route for American Indians, and was later used by lumber workers to float large loads of lumber into Williamsport. Colton Point State Park was developed through the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1933, and was later opened up to the public in 1936.
Colton Point was named in the late 1800s for Henry Colton, a lumberman who supervised harvesting trees in the area.
The park was established from state forest lands purchased in the early 1900s.
Colton Point State Park was developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp S-91-PA Painter Run from 1933 to 1936. It opened to the public in 1936.
The CCC’s contributions are still visible today through the five stone and timber pavilions in the park. In 1988, the CCC-built facilities were added to the National Register of Historic Places.
History taken from PA DCNR's website