The Baltimore Visitor Center is simply the best place to start exploring the new Baltimore. This 8,000-square foot, state-of-the art facility, which opened in May 2004, offers an array of information resources and services, all designed to make your stay in Baltimore one to remember.
Catch up on special events, purchase tickets for attractions, museums, tours, and harbor cruises, pick up brochures, make reservations for dining and lodging, and learn about the city's history, arts, neighborhoods, and shopping—all in one convenient location at 401 Light Street on the West Shore of Baltimore's famous Inner Harbor. The center has also added a gift shop featuring items for sale that are specific to Baltimore’s history and culture.
January – February 2017 - 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (Closed on Mondays)
March – April 2017 - 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
May – June 2017 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
(Note: Many places fill to capacity on busy, nice weather days, especially holiday weekends. Please call ahead or visit the official website to get the most up-to-date information before visiting.)
The center offers a number of activities and services including:
The facility includes a large exhibition hall, a 50 seat theater and public restrooms. The center will be a starting point for walking, hiking and biking tours. It contains a gift shop for items that are specific to Baltimore.
The entire facility is on one floor and automatic doors are at the north and south ends of the building. Service animals are permitted.
The 10-minute visitor orientation film is closed-captioned for the hearing impaired. The restrooms are also handicap accessible.
After crushing the Americans at the Battle of Bladensburg and invading Washington, DC, the British targeted Baltimore in September 1814.
They aimed to capture the country’s third-largest city, a hub of trade and shipbuilding.
To protect their city, Baltimoreans built extensive earthworks and sank ships to block harbor access.
On September 12-14, 1814, the British attacked by land from North Point. The British navy bombarded Fort McHenry on the Patapsco River.
American troops stalled the British advance along North Point Road, fortified Hampstead Hill (in present-day Patterson Park) with an estimated 15,000 men and more than 100 cannons, and held Fort McHenry.
These impressive defenses persuaded the British to withdraw, signaling the end of their campaign in the Chesapeake Bay.