Escape to Freedom, Fort Monroe
Saturday, May 4, 2019 11:00 am
- 5:00 pm
Enjoy African dancers and drummers, African-American heritage groups, and enactors honoring the enslaved people who walked through the fort’s gates on their path to freedom.
A daylong family event starting at 11 am with a walk from the intersection of Harrison Street and Ingalls Road to the Parade Ground; followed by musical and historical performances on the Parade Ground, and a concert by celebrated saxophonist and multi-instrumentalist Steve Wilson and his combo.
- 11 AM: A procession of African dancers and drummers, African-American heritage groups, and community representatives will proceed through the Main Gate to the Parade Grounds honoring the many enslaved people who walked through the fort’s gates on their path to freedom.
- Noon: Stage program:
- Music from the USCT Ensemble and Musical Mosaic
- “Contraband” Descendant Speakers
- Excerpts from “Prelude to Freedom,” musical drama by CHS founder, the late Gerri Hollins, directed by Charity N. Robinson and Minister of Music Pastor Thomas Dudley, Sr.
- 2 PM: Concert by Steve Wilson and band. Wilson is an acclaimed multi-instrumentalist, former member of the Smithsonian Jazz Orchestra, and performed with Lionel Hampton and Chick Corea, among others.
- The Buffalo Riders and Union re-enactors
*There is no fee to attend the event
Fort Monroe National Monument
41 Bernard Rd
Fort Monroe, VA 23651